The Cynthia Cannell Literary Agency is a full-service literary agency in New York City active in both the national and the international publishing markets. We represent the authors of fiction as well as memoir, biography, self-improvement, spirituality, and nonfiction on contemporary issues.
The Administrative Assistant is a part-time position that requires a resourceful individual with great people skills and the ability to think three steps ahead. The right candidate will be highly detail-oriented and thorough, a diplomatic and articulate correspondent, and comfortable with multitasking. Proficiency with numbers and a willingness to learn basic accounting is required. We are prepared to train the right candidate.
· Front-line Liaison: Serving as primary point of contact with high-level clients and publishing industry professionals. Process inquiries, provide information and/or direct to proper person as needed.
· Data Processing: Routine tasks include data entry, record keeping, contract trafficking, and basic analysis of royalty accounting statements in our custom database.
· Office Management: Maintain office supply levels, interface with IT, record and process billing and receipts for Agency expenses, reconcile monthly credit card expenses, manage books shipments and mail station, keeping all drives, reports, and files up to date and organized.
· Communications: Liaise with publishers regarding publicity for titles, manage Agency calendar and appointments
· Financial: Assist with end of year tax preparation, facilitate foreign tax exemption application materials, and prepare invoices and track receivables.
· Other: Commensurate with experience, this assistant may also be tasked with review of unsolicited submissions, copyediting, or editorial work.
· Bachelors Degree, preferably in English, Literature, Communications, Theatre, Dance, Arts.
· Previous experience providing administrative support in a small business environment.
· Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
· Highly organized, self-directed, resourceful, and able to multitask with grace.
· Proficient in Word, Excel, Google Suite, and Mac applications (iCal, Contacts, iOS).
· Fluent in Social Media practices (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
· Prior experience working in a database desired (training will be provided for our custom database).
Approximately 10-15 hours per week, in two or three shifts preferred, during regular business hours: 9a to 6p. Pay is competitive, and precise schedule is negotiable and subject to change based on candidate’s experience.